Thursday, September 17, 2009

Bundoran by the Sea.....[Excerpt from early draft]



One evening, as the sun was setting over beautiful Donegal Bay, "Nuestro Padre" Maciel led a session of "Questions"


BUNDORAN BY THE SEA



5.


On the appointed day, July 1, 1961, I –a naïve and sentimental young Catholic-- was picked up at my door, suitcase in hand, by a VW van carrying other students my age for a two-month ‘holiday’. On arriving at the postulancy residence, Bundrowes House, Bundoran, Co. Donegal, half a dozen other young ‘postulants’ in black cassocks, recruited previously during the school term, welcomed us. We, the newcomers, looked up to the older 'brothers’ to give us good example and leadership in preparing to be Legionaries. About thirty 17 and 18-year-olds, mostly from Irish Christian Brothers high schools soon attempted to adjust and bond. Together we formed the first group of ‘postulants’ from our country to join this Mexican order and felt very privileged to be the ‘co-founders.’ I was intrigued by the foreign dimension, since the leaders came from another continent with different language and customs. I made allowances from the start for the fact that they did not speak our language fluently. Thus when anything they said struck me as odd or maybe even clumsy or hurtful, I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. I found the atmosphere welcoming and supportive. However, the first piece of advice I received from my recruiter—who was now acting as my formator—was not to be ‘familiar’ with the other boys –we were walking alone close by the Atlantic cliffs-- Instead I was to start calling them ‘Brother Joseph’ instead of ‘Joe’ or ‘Michael’, and not slap them on the back or shoulder in comraderie. I was privileged to have a very nice older Irish brother as my ‘angel’ during my postulancy. ‘Bro.’ James Whiston had come to Bundrowes months before the big batch arrived in July. Wearing a black cassock, he and the other ‘older Brothers’ took their postulancy very seriously, almost as if they were ‘novices’. I remember that Pearse Allen, Michael Caheny., Francis Coleman, Declan French, Maurice Oliver Mc Gowan – from just a few farms down the road in County Leitrim—and Sean X belonged to that group.


6.


As I became more comfortable with Bro. Whiston -God Bless him wherever he is- I discovered with some disappointment that he had been the one to write the personal letters from ‘Father James’ which I had received during the preceding months. This also implied that he had read my very personal letters to the Padre. Though surprised and hurt, I did not give this too much thought either, or resent it, since my enthusiasm for the Legion was high. I was thoroughly enjoying the fast pace of daily life, full of hiking, swimming, soccer games, Spanish classes, and chores. ‘Father James” began our days with First Prayers and Morning Meditation and ended them with Examination of Conscience at Last Prayers. I remember who 'funny' it sounded when Fr. James talked about Jesus hanging ‘nak’t’ on the cross.

 
7.


I also felt very special because the founder of the order, whom we were supposed to call 'Nuestro Padre' [I later learned it was the name of veneration the first Jesuits gave to Saint Ignatius], came to visit us. I vaguely remember the day we met as he came striding along the road to meet us as we were walking back to Bundrowes. He greeted each one of us personally in a very gracious manner, although I could not understand a word he said. I can't remember how many days Fr. Maciel spent with us 'postulants.' He did not stay at the drafty Bundrowes House with 'the community' [as a good relgious should, as i was to learn from the Legion rule]. Presumably he stayed in Bundoran town. His status was so elevated that none of us would allow himself any curiosity -much less comparison- in that regard. One evening on the beach at Mullachmore we 'chilled' with Nuestro Padre. Our directors introduced us to him. Someone mentioned that I liked to sing, and --following an old Irish tradition-- I was asked to sing my party piece. At that time I was a big Johnny Mathis fan and so obliged the assembly with my rendition of 'A Certain Smile'. Such was my naive and sentimental disposition. I never knew what Nuestro Padre's reaction was to Fr. James translation of the lyrics.


One evening in the main room of Bundrowes House, as the sun set over beautiful Donegal Bay, Fr. Maciel granted us a session of ‘Questions,’ with ‘Father James’ as interpreter. He took the opportunity to explain the history of the Legion to us, the need the world had of vocations, and the Holy Father’s plea for priests for Latin America. We were so awed by him that there were not many questions. As a seventeen-year-old eager to become a missionary as soon as possible --I had heard it took fifteen years to be a Jesuit--I was eager to know. My 'fatal attraction' for questions led me to ask how long it would take to be ordained a Legionary. 'About seven years', was the response through the interpreter. This was what I wanted to hear.


TRUTH: LC training usually takes anywhere from 13-20+ years, depending on a variety of unpredictable factors: Novitiate [2], Juniorate [2], Philosophy [3], Apostolic Practices [2-4+], Theology 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment